Generally it really should work with
C:\FDOSBOOT.BIN="FreeDOS"

The problem is you gave almost no information on what's going on. How
had you created partition? How had you installed FreeDOS and what drive
was selected during install? What happened after install? What happened
after you added C:\FDOSBOOT.BIN="FreeDOS" to boot.ini? After you added
D:\FDOSBOOT.BIN="FreeDOS"? And so on. Given that just a few blind shots:

- Check in BIOS Setup, that your SATA HDC is in "IDE" or "Compatible" or
some similarly named mode. And not in "AHCI" or "RAID".
- Double-check that boot sector is indeed named FDOSBOOT.BIN and not
FREEDOS.BSS, for example, and located at root directory.
- Find out onto which drive you've installed FreeDOS. You can get your
hard drive partition info by running fdisk /status from FreeDOS
installation CD.

And you'd better don't mess with MBR as it is nothing close to boot.ini.