Hi,

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Bernd Blaauw <bbla...@home.nl> wrote:
> Op 26-11-2011 18:32, nospam schreef:
>
>> http://nanox-microwindows-nxlib-fltk-for-dos.googlecode.com/files/DILLODOS_beta2.zip
>
> does this DOS port of DILLO make Arachne obsolete?

I doubt it, though it's probably easier to rebuild as it relies on
more common toolset (DJGPP). Arachne is pretty good, so I wouldn't
discount it entirely.

Honestly, I wanted one of these days to start a thread here about
Arachne. Last I heard, Glenn had (mostly) stopped working on it, but
there's at least one other fork (EDIT: rayandrews ??) that has some
updates and rewrites.

I really wanted to ask on BTTR what heavy-duty Arachne users prefer,
file- and version-wise, in order to update iBiblio (which is a bit
anemic for it). Heck, I would've already mirrored a bunch more of it,
but I honestly wasn't sure which file was which (weird filenames) as
well as not having checked too closely on licensing.

> Also would using UPX (best mode) on the executable have any advantage?
> Compression-wise it takes a while due to sequential attempts:
> upx --8086 --lzma --ultra-brute dillo.exe

upx --best --lzma
(or)
upx --best --lzma --all-filters

Probably 90% as good as you'd expect. IIRC, it shrank it down to 2 MB
for me (under VirtualBox). You don't want "--ultra-brute" except if
you're really patient/bored or if you have a fast cpu (and/or VT-X).
Also keep in mind that a 5 MB .EXE (LZMA-decompressed) may be a bit
slow unpacking on old 486s or 586s. Not too too bad but still
noticeable.

If worried, just use "--best", decent enough.

P.S. And yes, it works pretty well in VirtualBox (minus a very very
few keypress issues). Though I had to "download" it first, heheh,
which involved (Mike Brutman's) htget (very minimal but surprisingly
useful) and reading the raw text output in a text editor to decide the
next thing (hopefully .ZIP) to htget.   ;-)

> glad a binary was provided, my head hurts from the (very detailed,
> thanks!) build instructions at:
> http://dillo-win32.sourceforge.net/DOS/BUILD.html
> (as linked to by BTTR forums).

He actually did a surprisingly good job of giving instructions. Most
projects don't even do that. No, I haven't tried, but I (almost) have
hope that it will work! (And I'm almost dumb enough to try, heh.)
;-)