Hello David,

Sorry for being late in replying.

You could do partly of what you say, depending on what you want.

(1) In what respects to remapping CapsLock (or any other key), you can
do it with KEYB, as any key would have its own scancode.

(2) With KEYB you can program any key into doing something you want.
The standard behaviour is: produce a basic "scancode-character" pair
(the one that the console pics and you see). But there are several
other things that you can program KEYB 2.X to do (called "commands").
You find the whole list in the "commands.txt" accompaining KEYB, and
I'll give you some examples:
- produce a string (not only a character)
- issue INT 5h (print screen)
- start a diacritic sequence (when you want to produce é you do [´] then [e])
Unfortunately, if you want that some other key behaves as CapsLock
(i.e. toggles the appropriate BIOS memory flag), it is on the list,
but NOT (yet) implemented (commands 88 and 98).

If you want to use this, you'll have to write your own KEY file and
compile it (or modify one of Henrique's existing layouts).

I hope that all was clear, otherwise please reply.
Aitor