Hi,

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 6:20 AM, Tom Ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:

>> 1). I wouldn't use the PIT, sounds unreliable,
> using the PIT can be made reliable; has worked flawless for over 20
> years since some 80286

I defer to your greater knowledge, obviously. It's just that messing
with the PIT can conflict with other things, so you have to be careful
(or so I thought).

>> 3). RDTSC (586+) is probably not what you want, esp. due to early
>> 586-686 time duration limitations and later SMP having issues
> SMP is never an issue in DOS

You mean FreeDOS, not "DOS" proper, esp.  since there is no reason
(besides common implementations) that it lacks such support. I'm not
sure if RDOS has it, and who knows what the others (e.g. Real/32)
have. I'm not up for testing everything!  ;-)

Anyways, I was just trying to be exhaustive, saying that you can't
expect it to work 100% the same in all scenarios and OSes, but I lack
the experience to say specifically. It's more complex than it sounds.