Hi,
   BTW, this isn't directly related to this guy (and haven't heard any
feedback from him lately), but I'll continue in this thread here
anyways since the topic is still valid.

Seems there is a bug in VirtualBox (4.1.8, at least, doubtful fixed in
4.1.10) that causes implicit file renaming to fail in FreeDOS. So
things like UPX and "sed -i" don't work correctly, it keeps the
garbled temporary name instead and doesn't work. It's not the fault of
the shell (4DOS, FreeCOM), and it's not DOSLFN. I even upgraded the
kernel to 2041 (from 2040), skeptically, but that didn't fix it
either.

It turns out that the bug isn't there when VT-X is enabled, only when
it's off (blech!). So I saw it on my laptop but not desktop. Very
annoying, it's almost unusable with such a bug (and was already kinda
painfully slow without VT-X).

I have no idea how to even describe such a bug for their bugtracker,
much less have any hope that they actually care or could fix it. Just
mentioning it here in case someone cares. (Perhaps now would be a good
time for me to test some other VMs.)