2012/3/28, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com>:

> While it *can* be done, I'm not sure why you want to.
>
> On a multi-tasking OS like Windows or Linux, I'll use Process Explorer
> (Win) or top (Linux), to get an idea of which programs are hitting the
> CPU.

This time I would compare, how much CPU time will my "toy program"
need on different machines. I would to make it show, how many percent
of CPU time was needed, if this can be possible.

Why? Because I'm not going to make it "as fast as possible" - max. 50
frames per second will do, and there's no need for more - but still
I'm interested, how much processing power it'll need to achieve these
50 frames. And how much will be still left for me (DX-Forth has
multitasking support). I would to test it on my Sempron 2 GHz, and
on... very old 386SX25.

>  But I'm usually interested in more than CPU load.  Most PCs are
> I/O bound, not compute bound, and the CPU spends a lot of time in an
> idle loop waiting on something.

You're right - but I've got to start with "just something", and it can
be then developed further.
--
Z.