On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:33:42 -0400, Zbigniew <zbigniew2...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This time I would compare, how much CPU time will my "toy program"
> need on different machines. I would to make it show, how many percent
> of CPU time was needed, if this can be possible.
>
> Why? Because I'm not going to make it "as fast as possible" - max. 50
> frames per second will do, and there's no need for more - but still
> I'm interested, how much processing power it'll need to achieve these
> 50 frames. And how much will be still left for me (DX-Forth has
> multitasking support). I would to test it on my Sempron 2 GHz, and
> on... very old 386SX25.

Is your screen update syncronized with the monitor`s vertical retrace?
There is an old trick for CPU load measurement in video game development
where you change the screen`s background color after processing for that
frame, and reset it at the beginning of the next frame. So when you run
the program, and see that the color changes half-way down the screen, then
you know that the CPU was busy for the first half of the frame until it
caught up with the CRT beam and then it was idle for the remaining time.
(you don`t actually need a CRT, as the video card timing will be the same
even if the signal is actually going to an LCD)