Bertho,

> ... I've not been "defending" MS smartdrive "against" UIDE - clearly
> they are not reciprocally substitutable, there are arguments for and
> against, either side, and also cases when it is not easy to choose.
> I've been mentioning smartdrive only for the fact that it lets the
> user explicitly remove one or several drive "letters" from caching,
> which is handy in some cases - not just floppies.

Can't imagine WHAT cases, and no one has ever asked me to have UIDE
cache or not-cache specific drives.   UIDE's /E /N1 /N2 /N5 switches
enable or disable caching for entire classes of drives, usually when
"odd" hardware or software makes this necessary.   Otherwise, people
seem to want caching for everything, or no caching (UIDEJR) at all.

>> So, I DISPUTE your comments about the change lines being unreliable!
>
> And I'm disputing your disputation :=)  Several brand floppy drives used
> in PC-AT compatibles in the 1980s were known to have problems with the
> change line, and also pre-AT drives might not have change lines at all,
> or no BIOS support. Nowadays people might still be using old drives they
> recovered from old stocks or dumps ...

No-longer a problem, since UIDE/UIDE2 now include /N5 for "unfortunates"
who must run such "clunker" drives.   I still choose to "trust the BIOS"
which has configuration bits to say that a media-change can be indicated
for a diskette.   That and /N5 should be enough, even with old clunkers!

> MS-DOS took extreme care to avoid disk corruption, you may peek at the
> code if you are so inclined.   Trusting the change line is /way/ too
> dangerous! ...

Well, I say again that NOBODY has ever complained about UIDE/UIDE2 using
only it for diskette media-changes!   Probably works BETTER than Gates &
Co. ever imagined!   A pity "other things" from them don't work as well!

>> SMARTDRV ...  takes a LOT of memory and is very
>> heavily linked to MS-DOS, so it may NOT run on other DOS systems!!
>> Also, it has never been updated to use UltraDMA, ...
>> UIDE/UIDE2 can do both.
>
>> Delayed writes are nice, but you "PAY for them!" given the size of
>> SMARTDRV and NCACHE2.  I felt it to be MUCH more reasonable if my
>> drivers did a FAST Write-Through implementation, with UltraDMA and
>> direct cache I-O, in only their "912 byte" upper-memory size!
>
> Nobody is denying your drivers are sweet!

"THANK you!", after all of the above and all in other posts!

>>> No doubt you will.
>>
>> In fact only 12 bytes, and I required only 11 of them for /N5, so
>> UIDE2 still has 1 spare!   It is still a 7K-byte .SYS file ...
>
> Thanks!

As I noted, the "K.I.S.S. Principle", and I shall ALWAYS follow it!

Jack R. Ellis