It would appear that on May 24, Ralf A. Quint did say:

> >I don't suppose there is a way to tell FreeDOS to execute something more
> >slowly???
> (Free)DOS runs as fast as the processor you're using allows it too.
> And why shouldn't it? ;-)

In general it should. It's just that by now there must be a lot of fondly
remembered games that simply were never intended for the processor speeds
of 10 years ago {never mind today's} And I thought I'd ask if the people who
still "like" dos enough to write code for it, ever found a solution...

> For slowing down games and such, there are/were a bunch of slow-down
> tools around, never used any of those myself though. One programs
> name that's kind of stuck in my head in that regard's is "moslo",
> another Google search probably will get you into the right direction
> for that... ;-)

It would appear that on May 25, bwspos did say:

> We've been using FDAPM SPEED4 in autoexec.bat on newer systems for
> some time.
>
> If I remember correctly it was introduced because of processor (P4
> 3Ghz?) heat issues.
>
> YMMV

At least I now know what to google for. Thanks...

It would appear that on May 25, Eric Auer did say:

> > My biggest problem with it, I think, will be that I've been using the Linux
> > command line and shells for so long now that I forget most of the dos stuff
> > used to know. But given time, I think most of it will come back to me. I
>
> Of course you can also keep using Linux and run DOS in a window, for
> example using DOSEMU which creates some classic virtual hardware for
> DOS, such as a SoundBlaster or VGA and VESA compatible graphics. The
> CPU is not virtual on 32bit Linux, but sometimes is on 64bit Linux,
> depending on kernel and drivers etc. This means that DOS also runs
> very fast in DOSEMU :-)

Yeah, I suppose I could try an emulator. But since I use Linux on my
personal computer, rather than on some server where there are other users
to worry about, I have no problem rebooting into dos when I want it...

> > haven't had the time to actually try those old games yet. But I
> > expect to have some fun. Most likely they will run too fast for me
> > to actually play. Even on the old Toshiba. {One of the old dos toys
> > I found was called parascan which...
>
> > Well it took about 10 seconds to whip through it all so fast I
> > couldn't read the jokes...}

> You can try FDAPM SPEEDn where N is a value between 1 and 8: This is
> using ACPI to program your mainboard to "freeze" your CPU at regular
> intervals and let it run 1/8 to 8/8 of the time. {snip}

Since it seems that tool is part of freedos I gave it a quick look {in help}
And then a quick try {on the Toshiba} where not even:
fdapm speed1
had any noticeable effect on that parascan toy...
On the other hand, I also noticed the:
fdapm poweroff
option and decided to give that a try when I was done... This is something
that Bodhi Linux couldn't seem to do properly with this laptop. The best
Bodhi had been able to do was spin down the hard drive and halt processing.
The screen however continued to display the final screenful of console text
with the last line stating that the system was "halted". At which point, I had
to follow up with the power button to finish powering down...
But with FreeDos, the:
fdapm poweroff
command was able to do a much better job of it. I'm impressed! ;-7

> > I don't suppose there is a way to tell FreeDOS to execute something
> > more slowly???
>
> There is nothing to tell FreeDOS to execute more slowly, but there
> are several ways to tell your hardware to do so. Some examples from
> my collection: oldskool.org free open throttle slowDOS, Bret Johnson
> has "slowdown" (slowdn310.zip, also open source but the sources are
> a separate file to download, free), MOSLO (moslo132.zip).

{details snipped}

Thank you for the detailed descriptions of so many methods. I'll have to
try them. But it will take a while, my Lady resents the time I spend with
the 'puter so I don't always get to "play" as much as I'd like. Still,
eventually I'll find out which ones (if any) work for me...

> Note that there are two main ways to slow down your system: Freeze
> it from time to time and keep it busy with something else. Of course
> the latter means extra wasted energy and extra heat.

That makes sense. Though I'm not so sure I need to worry about
overheating... Though I'm not sure how to monitor that in dos?
With E17 there is this shelf gadget for that...

In any case: Thank you one and all!