> i used a batchfile *g*

Of course.  That's the only way you can do it (if you don't have another
keyboard of some sort, like a PS2).  Glad you figured that out by yourself.

> should I delay loading device drivers after USBUHCI?

You could try, but it probably won't help.  It's never helped on any of my
systems, anyway.

> when I am finished i'll try to write a short guide that will
> answer most of my beginners questions.

Cool.

> I have got 3xUHCI (1x Intel, 2xVia).
> There is an EHCI controller, but it's offboard so I am sure I did
> not plug anything into these ports. (btw, don't know how to load
> the driver for this host, since it has #0, too)

I don't have a driver for EHCI yet, so you can't do it.

Just as a technical aside, the ports are both UHCI & EHCI.  That's one of the
many reasons USB is so confusing.  If a device is low- or full-speed (mice and
keyboards usually are), the port uses the UHCI controller.  If the device
high-speed, it uses the EHCI controller.  There is some "handshaking" that goes
on in the background between the EHCI & UHCI to decide which one gets to
control the port.

> after loading ctmouse the mouse works, but the keyboard doesn't.

That's good news.

> edit: when legacy is off, the keyboard LEDs turn on when loading
> USBUHCI #0, and off when unloading.

That's good new too -- it means USBKEYB is talking to the keyboard OK.

> what about the message: "initilizing ps/2 mouse"
> if this message is shown has nothing to do with a mouse attached
> or not.

This is displayed when it is configuring the PS2 mouse BIOS, which is there
whether you actually have a PS2 mouse or not.  If you do have both a PS2 mouse
and a USB mouse, USBMOUSE "ORs" them together so that you can use both at the
same time.

> Still I got the problem with the PS/2 keyboard.
> As soon as the USBKEYB is loaded, roughly every second keypress
> shows two letters. This seems to be true for printable characters
> only.

A few different things to try here.  The first is to load the MS KEYB program
from one of the later versions of MS-DOS (6 or 7).  FreeDOS also has some KEYB
"clones", but they are not 100% equivalent to MS-KEYB, and won't help with this
particular problem.  This may or may not fix it, though.

The other thing to do is to try the three different typing methods USBKEYB
provides (with the /Method:# option, where # is 1, 2, or 3).

USBKEYB does a very simple test to determine which typing method to use, and
can be "fooled" by a flaky keyboard BIOS into thinking one of the methods will
work when it actually won't (at least not reliably).  I have a Sony laptop,
e.g., where Method 1 and 2 are both flaky (sometimes work and sometimes don't),
so I need to manually select Method 3 with USBKEYB.  The disadvantage to Method
3 is that it won't always work with "complicated" programs (like some that use
protected mode / DPMI), but tends to be much more reliable than the other two
methods (which are hardware dependent).