Op 10-6-2012 20:12, czezz schreef:
> Now I have have 480 KB of free memory

> Therefore Im asking here, can anyone please take a look at my autoexec.bat
> and fdconfig.sys and help me to improve it ?
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3403127/AUTOEXEC.BAT
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3403127/FDCONFIG.SYS

FDCONFIG.SYS:
1) add the monochrome area: add " I=B000-B7FF" (without quotes) at end
of JEMMEX line. See JEMM386 line. Please test if this works for you.

2) replace "I=TEST X=TEST" by "I=C800-EFFF" and test if this works for
you. This kinda bruteforce adds most of the upper memory to your DOS
client without much consideration for controller firmware.

Additionally there might be some graphical tools to list which exact
UMBs are assigned/used/available/unused. I've always liked MS's MSD.EXE
program for this.

AUTOEXEC.BAT:
1) use ALIAS REBOOT=FDAPM COLDBOOT (same for "reset" alias). MS-Client
seems to require coldboot instead of warmboot, to get eliminated from
memory. Or it's yet another VirtualBox flaw, who knows.

2) set the LH lines as follows for MS-Client (netbind/protman isn't LH
friendly at all..)

LH C:\NET\NET INITIALISE
C:\NET\NETBIND.COM
LH C:\NET\UMB.COM
LH C:\NET\TCPTSR.EXE
LH C:\NET\TINYRFC.EXE
C:\NET\NMTSR.EXE
REM C:\NET\EMSBFR.EXE
LH C:\NET\NET START
MEM /C /N

As the AMD PCNET DOS driver uses 27KB, it might be worthwile considering
switching to another network card if you can find drivers for it. Maybe
the Intel ones.

I seem to remember also that MS-Client had a limited memory mode option
somewhere that reduced a bit of functionality and lots of buffers.

> If that helps, here is also a link to my VBox image file:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3403127/FreeDOSMSClient.zip

This helped quite nicely to experiment quickly, thanks.
Legally/technically you'd be in trouble though for distributing
Microsoft's copyrighted software. Then again, projects like NWDSK and
Netbootdisk also.

Bernd