Geraldo,

you are probably correct. If I use fdboot.img as a floppy drive image
like this: "qemu -fda /home/martin/FreeDOS/isolinux/fdboot.img -boot a
-m 128m"  ..I end up on the very same "A:\>" prompt. So I should:

A) mount the CD mount point on the "A:\" prompt

Is this possible at all? As much as I browsed Wikipedia "List of
MS-DOS commands" and checked utilities available on the "A:\" prompt,
there was no possibility to mount or access files other than included
into fdboot.img floppy image.

B) add BIOS flashing tool and BIOS ROM files to fdboot.img

New fdboot.img should be much larger than the original one because
flash tool itself is ~2MB. I did this:

1) Created 10MB raw file:

root@debian64:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=10MB bs=10M count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
10485760 bytes (10 MB) copied, 0,02243 s, 467 MB/s
root@debian64:~#

2) Created partition table to MBR using fdisk. Results are following:

root@debian64:~# fdisk -lu 10MB
You must set cylinders.
You can do this from the extra functions menu.

Disk 10MB: 0 MB, 0 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 0 cylinders, total 0 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x3009589f

 10MB1   *           1     1606499      803249+   6  FAT16
root@debian64:~#

3) Mounted this 10MB file with 32256 offset:

root@debian64:~# echo 63*512 | bc -l
32256
root@debian64:~# losetup --offset 32256 /dev/loop1 10MB
root@debian64:~#

4) Created FAT16 file system:

root@debian64:~# mkdosfs -F 16 -v /dev/loop1
mkdosfs 3.0.9 (31 Jan 2010)
Loop device does not match a floppy size, using default hd params
/dev/loop1 has 64 heads and 32 sectors per track,
logical sector size is 512,
using 0xf8 media descriptor, with 20416 sectors;
file system has 2 16-bit FATs and 4 sectors per cluster.
FAT size is 20 sectors, and provides 5085 clusters.
There are 4 reserved sectors.
Root directory contains 512 slots and uses 32 sectors.
Volume ID is e2c98373, no volume label.
root@debian64:~#

5) Umounted 10MB image:

root@debian64:~# losetup -d /dev/loop1
root@debian64:~#

6) Copied MBR boot code to 10MB disk image:

root@debian64:~# dd if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=10MB bs=1
count=440 conv=notrunc
440+0 records in
440+0 records out
440 bytes (440 B) copied, 0,000622907 s, 706 kB/s
root@debian64:~# file -s 10MB
10MB: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x6, active, starthead 0,
startsector 1, 1606499 sectors, code offset 0x31
root@debian64:~#

7) Installed syslinux to 10MB1 partition(that is the reason I used
32256 byte offset):

root@debian64:~# syslinux --install --offset 32256 10MB
root@debian64:~#

8) Mounted this 10MB1 partition:

root@debian64:~# mount 10MB /media/10MBfiledir/ -o loop,offset=32256
root@debian64:~#

9) Copied files from fdboot.img floppy image and few additional ones:

root@debian64:~# ls /media/10MBfiledir/
atiflash.exe  CHOICE.EXE   DEVLOAD.COM  ELTORITO.SYS  FDCONFIG.SYS
fdisk.ini        HD5870.rom  KERNEL.SYS   MDISKCHK.COM  SHSUCDX.COM
UIDE.SYS         USB2          XMSSIZE.COM
AUTOEXEC.BAT  COMMAND.COM  EDIT.EXE     FDAPM.COM     FDISK.EXE
GETARGS.COM  jemmex.exe  ldlinux.sys  SHSUCDHD.EXE      TDSK.EXE
UPDATE.BAT  vmsmount.exe
root@debian64:~#

10) Unmounted 10MB image:

root@debian64:~# umount /media/10MBfiledir
root@debian64:~#

As much as I understand, everything is done- 440 byte boot code in MBR
is present, partition table in MBR is present, syslinux is installed
to first partition, FAT16 file system is created to first partition
and finally all the files from floppy image are copied to this 10MB
image. However, I'm not able to boot into DOS with qemu. If I execute
qemu with "qemu -hda 10MB -boot c -m 128m" I end up with:

Booting from Hard Disk...
Missing Operating System.
No bootable device.

Image as well: http://i.imgur.com/G45gj.png