I do not know if this helps you but if you want to set up a bootable CD with
FreeDOS let me explain how I do that using is a completely different
approach:

I use Bochs to install FreeDOS on a VMWare disk image from the FreeDOS
distribution CD ISO image and then make a bootable CD from this disk image.
When booting this CD ROM it will appear as the C: drive and FreeDOS scans
all other disks and lets you access them as D:,E: etc. Of cause you can
access all files on the C: drive which is the CD too.

First I make an empty hard disk image with BXImage which comes with Bochs.
This can be e.g. 60 MB, 400 MB etc. Then I boot from the FreeDOS ISO image
and install FreeDOS 1.1 on this hard disk image. I observed here that I have
to uncheck to install the isolinux files to make this hard disk image
bootable. The entire install process is described in detail in the FreeDOS
Wiki.

Then I load VDK which lets me access this disk image from Windows XP
explorer and transfer files to it. Bochs lets you test if all works as
expected using the hard disk image before making a bootable CD. You can also
test the created CD image without burning it to a real CD.

Finally I use Nero to convert the disk image to a bootable CD image using
the El Torito standard.

All this is described in detail my Bochs tutorial chapter four.
https://peter-bochs.googlecode.com/files/Bochs%20-%20a%20Guide%20and%20Tutorial%20for%20Windows%20II.pdf

I have to add that my applications do not seem to work with FreeDOS 1.1 and
I have to resort to Rugxulo's bare DOS distribution to make it work. I get
page faults when using FreeDOS 1.1 with cwsdpmi.

Georg