John,

Just to make sure I understand ...

You are running a batch file that is doing "net use" to setup printer
shares, a file share, and loads nansi.sys.  And the output to the screen
during that time is around 8.5 chars per second?

Just as a comparison, running the FreeDOS Beta of 1.1 under VirtualBox I
can go to c:\fdos\doc\mtcp and execute "type ftpsrv.txt".  The entire
time to watch that 37KB file scroll by is around 7 seconds, or about
5200 chars per second including the scrolling time.  (The time to scroll
is longer than the time to print chars.)

Is VirtualBox slow because of what you are doing in those batch files,
or is it slow no matter what you do?  For example, try my little test
there and see how fast it goes.  We need to isolate what is causing your
slowdown.  And please try this with both TSRs and device drivers loaded
and without so that we can see if it is a TSR or device driver problem.

I have never heard of something that slow before in VirtualBox. As an
alternative, you can try VMWare to see if it is something specific to
VirtualBox.  (I have found problems in VirtualBox before related to
programs that reprogram the programmable interrupt timer.  The mTCP PING
program exposed it.  It only affected PING while it was running.)

RAM should not be the issue.  But laptop hardware tends to throttle the
speed if it is not plugged into the wall and allowed to run at full
speed.  I doubt this is your problem, but just in case, please clarify
that the laptops are on wall power and are set to run at maximum CPU
speed while on wall power.

FDAPM and APMDOS are only introduced as a way to conserve battery power
or reduce electricity consumption when used with wall power.  Which
reduces heat, which is always a good thing ...

mTCP requires its own network adapter and can not co-exist with
MS-Client.  The same is true for WATTCP based applications.  If you are
trying to use both the MS-Client and mTCP or WATTCP programs at the same
time on the same adapter then you need to add another adapter.  Each of
those programs assumes that they own the adapter and will fight each
other in fun ways.

Mike