Hi Chris,
Thanks for including the entire passage.
still the point is as you shared yourself, "might be understood " to mean
older stand
alone ms dos, it might not as well.
  be understood..that is.
Why showcase what is subject to misinterpretation when their are aspects,
you bring up another  sensational one, that are correct and not subject to
miss interpreting?
for my part, the edition of ms dos 7 i run was packaged by developers much
like yourselves.  Is it official ms dos stand alone? perhaps not.  is it
bundled under windows? not at all.

Karen