Are you absolutely sure there are no errors when when you are installing the
EMM?  What screen messages do you get when it is loading?

I'm guessing what may be happening is that you have enough poorly placed
(virtual) hardware ROM modules that the EMM can't find a contiguous 64k block
of upper memory it needs to build the EMS Page Frame.  You may be able to
disable some of the modules (network, USB, etc.), or move them to a different
part of memory, and get around the problem.  I'm not familiar enough with
Virtual Box to know exactly how "configurable" it is.

I know I've had similar problems on "modern" computer systems with real
hardware (EMS compatibility is not something the hardware manufacturers even
worry about or test for any more).