Hi,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Ricardus Vincente
<wizardofg...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Would someone please remind me about why there isn't a boot floppy
> image in the FreeDOS web site that actually has FreeDOS on it? Seems
> like it would be a really easy thing to do, and for that small
> percentage of people who want to bring life to an old machine that can't
> boot from CD, it would be super helpful.

1). Most people don't use floppies anymore. Either their machines lack
the drive or they lack floppy disks or their favorite OS doesn't
support USB floppy drives or they prefer booting CD-R (EDIT: why
didn't you try Smart Boot Manager???) or USB drives or they can't be
bothered or ....

2). "Really easy" ... sure, but keeping it up-to-date is a bit more
tedious, esp. for little gain. It's really easy to whip up something
crappy, a bit harder to do it right where it covers everything
(various floppy sizes, cpus, RAM requirements, peripherals, docs,
sources, etc).

3). "Small percentage" ... literally almost nobody has complained so
far! Keep in mind that volunteers are extremely low, which is why it
took so long for FD 1.1 to come out (thanks, Bernd!). Most of us
prefer contributing to other things.

4). There ARE floppy images, as mentioned, just slightly moldy. Most
of us make do with old stuff and manually install.   :o)

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/balder/balder10.img

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/odin/odin060/fdodin06.8088.zip

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/floppy/img/base/install.img

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.0/fdboot.img