> I think it still did use DOS file system calls, but I could be wrong.

It circumvented DOS for higher performance if no DOS software was
intercepting or handling the FS and block device functions (from DOS Int21
API through DOS block device down to ROM-BIOS Int13 API), at Windows
start-up. If it detected any such interception, it would indeed run the
affected FS in some sort of compatibility mode where it used the
underlying V86 APIs (block devices, Int13) instead of its own ones. This
incidentally disabled its LFN functionality for the affected FS.

Regards,
Chris