Hi John,
not at all really.
I have used dos exclusively for all of my computing since 1988.  I
presently run an augmented edition of ms dos 7.1 circle 2005 or so that
meets my pure dos needs totally.
  Because I use dos though, i was contacted by a young woman who lives in
America and her friend.  She wants to return to total dos, 18 windows
computers later, but seeks what she defines as the more modern editions of
DOS without being very clear about this.
Her assumption was that enhanced Dr dos, actually based on DR dos 7.01, or
Freedos fit the modern definition if only because they are being updated
regularly.

I have been riding side car from Canada on their efforts with DR dos 7.03,
which created overlapping partitions when they tried installing it on the
Pentium III laptop they are working on for the task, it has a 12 gig
hard drive.
It seems, that this edition of Dr dos, the most current official one so it
seems uses fat 16 only, with very minimal support for fat 32.  Hence
part of the
install and other problems she is meeting with.
My goal was to swiftly learn if she would at least get past the issue she
is having with Dr dos if she opted for freedos.  I have never met with
these issues using my edition of ms dos, because it sees fat 32 just fine.
is that more clear?
Karen