I wonder what the brandand firmware revisions the harddrive(s) in
question are and whether or not they have a size-limiting jumper
connected. Doesn't such a jumper, in combination with hardcoded BIOS
settings, control the cylinders-heads-sectors that "the DOS" flavor
sees? And doesn't DOS itself need a device driver in order to talk to
the hard drive? Perhaps the device driver used by "the DOS" doesn't
quite understand what the hard drive firmware is telling it (and vice
versa.)

I wonder if there is open source firmware that can run hard
drivesincluding SSDs. It seems to me that at least theoretically, a hard
drive or SSD should be partionable by any operating system -- given the
correct firmware on the device itself plus operating system level device
drivers handshaking.

I'm probably running into trouble here from lack of specific DOS
knowledge...I confess I've always wanted to write a device driver but
neverinvested the time to re-learn assembly language and carefully read
the documentation.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA