On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM, kurt godel <wb2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bruce, et al,
>  I have reinstalled XP hundreds of times, and I always preformat the XP's
> partition(usually c)
> with fat32; this forces the XP install to give the option to install XP on
> fat32, which I always choose.
>   it may be that some windows apps *must* run in ntfs, but I've never used
> one.

While XP *can* run on FAT32, NTFS is preferable.  You find out why if
you ever have file system damage.  CHKDSK on NTFS normally fixes the
file system, and puts all the orphaned files back in their original
directories under their original names. (The only time I have seen it
not do so was when a bad block was involved, and a directory entry
happened to be located on the bad block.)  Run CHKDSK on a FAT32
partition with issues, and you get a FOUND.000 directory with lots of
FILEXXXX.CHK files, which may or may not be anything useful, and have
fun checking.  The greater robustness of NTFS is more than worth the
price of admission.

NTFS supports the concept of file ownership and permissions by owner.
(FAT doesn't, because it has no place to store the information.)  NTFS
also supports more efficient space usage, with a default 512 byte
block size.  I don't see "slack space" under NTFS.

NTFS supports a few other features I make extensive use of.  One is
selective compression: you can specify a directory is to be
compressed, and files are automatically compressed when written to it.
 This is handy for a variety of file types.  I still use Google
Desktop, for instance, which indexes the content of my drive.  Google
Desktops index files can become huge.  Making the Google Desktop
directory a compressed directory reduces usage by 50% or more.

And NTFS5 supports Unix style hard links, allowing me to have multiple
directory entries pointing to the same file.  (On FAT filesystems,
cross-linked files are a problem CHKDSK tries to "fix" for you.)
Windows doesn't expose this by default: you need a Microsoft Resource
kit or third party utility.  If you run Vista/Win7, symbolic links are
supported as well.*  My preference for this is a freeware utility
called Link Shell Extension -
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html.  It
adds context menu entries to chose what you want to link and where to
create the link.  (* A Japanese developer wrote a driver that adds
symlink support under 2K and XP.  You can get it from the LSE site,
with source.)

NTFS is not accessible from FreeDOS, but I don't care.  I have FreeDOS
on an old notebook.  The drive is partitioned, with slices for Win2K
Pro on NTFS, Ubuntu and Puppy Linux on ext4, and FreeDOS on Fat32.  I
use an open source driver that lets Win2K read/write to the Linux
partitions.  Ubuntu and Puppy mount each other's slices when booted.
Win2K and Linux can see all partitions.  FreeDOS can see only it's own
slice, but I simply put anything I'm likely to want to access from
FreeDOS on its partition.

I'm unaware of any Windows apps other than utilities intended to work
on NTFS files systems that require NTFS, but in general, the OS should
make the type of file system transparent.  From Windows, you are
simply creating, opening, reading, writing, closing, and deleting
*files*, and normally don't care what the underlying filesystem is.
It's the job of the OS to handle the details.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519