"bruce.bowman tds.net" <bruce.bow...@tds.net> wrote:

>Palletized 640x480x256 colors requires VBE 3.0.

No. The VBE 3.0 standard doesn't define any new modes at all. The 640x480x256
mode (0x101h) was defined from the very beginning, in VBE 1.0. Of course actual
support depends on hardware. If you need 640x480x256 with linear framebuffer
access, it was added later, in VBE 2.0. VBE 3.0 added things like refresh rates
control and stereo glasses support, so I don't see why 3.0 could be _required_
for your app. Please advice if I missed some point.