A few months ago I was using sys-freedos.pl to create bootable USB
Freedos stick for bios updates. But I tried the same thing today, but
now it is only showing "FREEDOS", with the caret after it. There is no
command prompt.

I essentially used the steps found here:
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/BIOS_Update#FreeDOS_Environment

Which is:
1. zero out a 20mb file or use a physical flash stick.
2. FAT format it.
3. run sys-freedos.pl on it
4. copy over files from a Freedos 1.44mb disk image onto it.

I've tried variations like using version 1.1 or 1.0, partitioning the
disk image/device and also copying over the bare minimum of kernel.sys
and command.com instead of the whole floppy. But I get essentially the
same error in all cases.

I get the same error on all machines. You can even try it out yourself:
use a zeroed out file instead of a device and load it up in qemu. (I
also get the same error in qemu.)

Has anyone come across this error before? Am I missing out some steps above?

Richard