My advice to anyone trying to use a USB storage device on FreeDOS is to first
try
using the BIOS.

First realize that USB drives will be FAT 16 for smaller devices (1G or less)
and FAT32 for
larger devices.   So find a device which is small or make sure you are using
the FAT32 enabled
FreeDOS kernel.  (You can check whether the device is FAT16 or FAT32 in Windows
easily)

Second make sure the BIOS on your computer is up to date - if possible get the
newest version and
flash it.

Third, just insert the USB stick into the computer and boot FreeDOS.   See what
happens, try to access
drive D: ... you may be pleasantly surprised.  The stories that you must boot
from the USB drive
in order for the BIOS to see it are not true in my experience.

If this works, you are done, just realize you must boot the computer every time
you insert the USB
device.

If it doesn't work, you are going down the path of exploration that you're
doing now.
There are some folks on this list that know quite a lot, you might try either
Bret Johnson's
drivers or Georg Potthast's.

Dave