I would appreciate reassurance or correction, or both, please.

I want to work with the DOS Clipper database compiler and perhaps play some
of the wonderful old DOS games such as Super Tetris. My computer runs
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and I certainly don't want to mess up that. I
had thought to use FreeDOS to do the DOS work or play, then reboot back into
Windows for other things.

So far I have managed to download the FreeDOS ISO image and burn it to a cd
as an ISO using ImgBurn 2.5.7 newly downloaded. I then reboot the computer
with the bios set to read from the cd if present. The FreeDOS welcome screen
appears and I get nervous and stop.

"Install to the hard drive" sounds fine, except that I don't want to
overwrite the Windows install that I need to return to.

"Create Drive C" sounds like I'm going to wipe out the current drive C:
which is formatted to NTFS

"Boot from system hard disk" would be fine except that the only thing on the
system hard disk is Windows.

"Boot from Diskette" except that I don't have one. The diskette image file I
downloaded won't copy to a diskette and I get an error message saying the
copy needs another 16 kb room on the diskette.

As I dither over these choices, another screen appears announcing that
"FreeDOS can be installed to the following destination drive," with choices

"None" but what good does that do?

"Press 1 to start installing from cd to C". Since I didn't create a drive C
at the first screen, I don't know whether the install can happen and where
it is going, and the big one, whether I'm going to damage the Windows
install.

The next choice to run FDISK and modify the partitions worries me for the
same reason. There is lots of unused room on the disk, if it wants to create
a partition for FreeDOS.

OK, so I don't know what I'm doing and my ignorance overflows. I freely
admit it. But if someone would take pity and help me through this, I would
certainly be grateful.

Bob