On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM, kurt godel <wb2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly *where* is the string of characters for the path variable stored?

In the environment block for the program.

> For that matter, where are stdin/out/and err?

They are file descriptors 0, 1, and 2.  By default, they are assigned
to the terminal, and read from/written to there.  I/O redirection can
be used to assign them elsewhere, using the < , >, and | operators .
DOS is like Unix in this regard, save that vanilla DOS can't handle
stdout and stderr separately.  4DOS can, and there are other third
party utilities for doing it.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519