Hi Bret and others,

I have a rather old Olympus digital camera, and I would like to
download its pictures in FreeDOS with the USB cable, but this
isn't working. In fact, it is still worse: it does work, but
only 1 out of 10 times.

(It works in Linux alright, but I take recourse to Linux only
for those things that cannot be done in FreeDOS.)

In a series of tests, the possibilities that the fault is in (1)
motherboard, (2) cable, (3) USB port, or (4) picture memory card
have all been excluded.

I download pictures regularly in FreeDOS from another Olympus
camera with the USB cable. There were problems in the beginning
too, but by trial and error I found a value for the /X parameter
that makes it work reliably.

For the current camera, I tried the same /X trick, but it did
not work. Is there any other parameter or option which I should
try?

Thanks,

Marcos

PS: I remember what you said about the USB architecture being "flaky",
so I'm not entertaining overly high hopes with this camera.