My suggestion to use DOSBOX was based on my own experience - I run
DOSBOX on a 64 bit hosts (although the host is not a Windows system).

I don't really understand the thing about x86_64 not being able to run
pmode stuff, but I am positive about the fact that it works without any
troubles for me. Both DOSBOX and DOSEMU runs just fine (DOSEMU is way
faster than DOSBOX, but I don't think there is a DOSEMU port for
Windows, therefore only DOSBOX is left for this platform).

The DOSBOX wiki says that it works fine under Win7:
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBox_and_Windows_Vista_and_Windows_7

(but I can't back this up as I haven't ever used Win7 myself)

cheers,
Mateusz