2013/4/21 Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net>

> On 2013-04-21 18:19 (GMT+0200) Aleve Sicofante composed:
>
> > Felix Miata composed:
>
> >> Because the first isn't a bootable OS anyway, I would definitely choose
> #1,
> >> the simplest. If the OS that needs access to the first is old and
> >> unsophisticated, another solution might be needed for it to maintain
> access
> >> to it.
>
> > OK, but even if I choose #1 I'll need a boot manager, right?
>
> Wrong. With only one bootable OS installed, and only one HD in the system,
> there's no compelling reason to have any boot manager.

Well, the definitely compelling reason is that the system simply will not
boot. That's the whole reason I started this thread. It will boot fine if I
install on the first partition, but not at all if I install in the second
partition. No other differences involved.

> > GRUB will do?
>
> If you want one, sure. Syslinux is another option. And AiRBoot. And others.

I'll try GRUB, since I'm an Ubuntu user and I'm already familiar with it.
But I'm definitely curious about what would prevent the system from booting
if only the second partition is used.