Hi,

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Michael B. Brutman
<mbbrut...@brutman.com> wrote:

> I am not one to find fault with other people's work for the joy of
> finding fault, but I am having a hard time seeing how this code is
> useful or relevant:

GPL, so patches welcome!   :-)

> - The headers that it is putting at the top of the file are fixed in
> format.  You still have to edit the output to change the string "author"
> to your name, "content" to something other than "anonymous", "keywords"
> to something other than <blank>, etc.

A lot of tools (even digital cameras) do this, mostly because of
default copyrighting, etc. (Yes, I realize putting "digital camera
user" or whatever as author isn't very useful for enforcing copyright,
but still ....)

> - It always assumes that you need a link to an image embedded in the
> output.  The image is always 180 pixels wide and 90 pixels high. There
> is no error checking to see if that filename was even provided so it
> generates garbage if that option is missing.

Yeah, error checking, the bane of a programmer's existence.  :-P

http://www.lysator.liu.se/c/ten-commandments.html

"
#6 :

If a function be advertised to return an error code in the event of
difficulties, thou shalt check for that code, yea, even though the
checks triple the size of thy code and produce aches in thy typing
fingers, for if thou thinkest 'it cannot happen to me', the gods shall
surely punish thee for thy arrogance.
"

> - It puts a very spammy link to Digitalatoll Webpage Solutions at the
> bottom of the generated file.

That is par for the course, many other tools do the same (e.g. GNU
Enscript). Manual editing of the output is thus required.

> I'm sorry, but sometimes a free offering isn't worth accepting. This
> code can probably be replaced with the DOS copy command and a few text
> files; the copy command also lets you append things to files.

I wrote my own .pas to .htm converter in .sed recently. Quite buggy.
:-)    It's a bit trickier than just pasting bits together. Well, my
big problem was uppercasing reserved keywords within string literals
(big no no), but I figured it was easy enough to manually fix, if
needed. Outside of writing my own complete Pascal grammar parser, it's
not too easy to avoid. (I also ended up weakly patching apashtm to
work without Lazarus.)

> The spammy link and the inability to customize the output without changing
> the code and recompiling make it very very limited.

I think changing the code and manually editing for one's needs is implied here.

> DOS users don't need this, and I doubt that Linux users need it either.

In fairness, nobody needs computers at all, society lived without them
for thousands of years. And this IS only v0.0.1, keep in mind.   ;-)

P.S. I don't know the history of the Internet nor all programs ever
made. I'm not sure if GNU A2PS is an official or unofficial precursor
to GNU Enscript. There does seem to be some partial common heritage
there. In any case, A2PS has a script called "card" which will "print"
a reference card of a program based upon its "inline help". Just for
reference, that exists as well. Oh, and I guess help2man (written in
Perl) is vaguely similar. Yeah, lots and lots of doc formats out
there.