On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 2:25 AM, dos386 <dos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Isn't the Google document viewer among them ? AFAIK
>> It is not.  Look stuff up.
>
> I did. Last time I checked it pressured me to enable JS, when it
> got JS, it asked for Flash ... this was the EOD for me.

Er. *what* asked for Flash?  (That wasn't what I meant by look stuff up.)

Google products, including GMail and Google Docs use DHTML and *lots
and lots* of JavaScript.  The stuff you are talking about, like
rendering common attachment types in your browser, is JS powered.  (It
works on mobile devices that don't *have* flash.)  It you aren't
running a relatively current browser supporting a current version of
JavaScript, you will not have a good experience, because many things
simply won't work.

I use Firefox (actually, Aurora, which will become the next Firefox
release version.)  In Aurora, I run NoScript, which blocks scripting
activity unless the site is in a user maintained whitelist.  Mozilla
also implements the plugin_helper executable, which runs as a child
process of the browser, and implements a sandbox in which plugins can
run.  The idea is that a crashing plugin won't take the browser with
it, and Adobe Flash is a worst offender.

Flash (and plugins in general) are increasingly deprecated.  Current
browser development direction is "Plugins are bad.  The user should be
able to do everything without requiring them."   And Adobe is
curtailing flash.  Development of flash for mobile has been ended, in
good part because many mobile devices simply don't support it.  (Apple
refused to support flash.)  Flash will still be supported on the
desktop, but I don't expect a lot of development. Adobe has a tool in
alpha intended to convert flash to HTML5, and will be going in that
direction in future efforts.

Avoid JS and flash if you prefer, but be aware your reasons for doing
so may not be valid.
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519