Hi,

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Mateusz Viste <mate...@viste-family.net> wrote:

> 1. I haven't managed to compile it from source.
> I did produced an executable, but the linker was complaining a lot
> about undefined symbols, so I probably missed how to link the egavga
> lib. A section in the readme about 'how to build from source' would be
> appreciated (maybe a makefile also?).

Can anyone with knowledge clarify that EGAVGA.OBJ is okay to
redistribute? Honestly, without sources (and "four freedoms") to that
too, declaring the project as GPL is probably not even true. This is
important if wishing to redistribute it.

I've not really used EGAVGA stuff from Borland before, so I don't know
how hard it would be to implement similar functionality with
OpenWatcom (hopefully not very). Well, for obvious licensing reasons,
OpenWatcom is preferred here, but I really don't wish to discourage
anyone (or add any extra burdens). Nevertheless, without proper
distribution rights, we can't use it at all. And even then, FreeDOS
(tm) and Jim Hall heavily prefer "free/libre" (four freedoms) whenever
possible.

> 5. The version string is inconsistent - in the documentation and source
> code it says '1.2b', while in the program itself it states '1.2'.

Dunno, the filename is mysteriously named "in05.zip"!

> 8. You seem to always display 3 fixed sizes of fonts. I don't know
> anything about the CPI format, but is it possible that a CPI file could
> contain more font sizes? Or font sizes different from what you assume
> (8x8, 8x14, 8x16) ?

I think here he's only trying to support the normal, most common
modes:  80x25, 80x43, 80x50.

> 9. There is no CPX support, but nevertheless, it would be cool to be
> able to detect the CPX format, and provide some hints about what to do.
> Right now cpied just says 'Unsupported format, id0=0x81'. Would be great
> if it would say something like "this is CPX, not supported format, but
> if you need to edit it simply uncompress it first using UPX -d font.cpx
> -o font.cpi"

Right, see MODE's sources for that bit.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/mode/2005/mode-2005may12.zip

BTW, the doc says this:

"On Windows Vista and 7, the system may refuse to launch
 this program (or any other fullscreen DOS program) or not.
 It depends on the video card driver."

The simple truth is that Windows is very incompatible (on purpose)
with DOS stuff. They don't care anymore, so honestly it is (IMO,
though hardly a stretch) a "lost cause" for us. It always complains on
any attempt to do anything even remotedly related to video modes, so
you have to "ignore" as many messagebox complaints as possible. You're
only safe if the program is pure text mode "only" and doesn't try to
do any mode switches. (Depends on video driver ... you can allegedly
swap in an older video card driver, e.g. from XP, but that disables
Aero, which some other programs need to function properly.)