Hi,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Michael Robinson
<plu...@robinson-west.com> wrote:

> I have a Pentium III 750, 768 megs of ram, and a soundblaster 16 PCI
> card.
>
> Well, trying to add msclient as it seems to be the only way to go for
> a national semiconductor DP83815 network card.  Goal has been to run
> fdnpkg to update my freedos 1.1 system.  Apparently, the only choice
> is to have crynwr working, but that requires that I use a different
> nic.  The msclient 3.0 dos software is a horrible memory hog.

Does that require EMS? Or are you just trying to save RAM by using UMBs?

> As soon as I do a ping www.yahoo.com, I get a different crash and it
> is a hard crash involving again jemm386.
>
> Are there special flags that are needed on jemm or himemx?

Not sure, but "usually" it seems to be safer to use "X=TEST I=TEST" in there.

The README.TXT says that the ultra-safest setting (but probably fairly
useless for real-world use) is "X=A000-FFFF NOHI NOVME NOINVLPG". It
goes on to say, "This is the safest combination. If this doesn't work,
Jemm most likely isn't compatible with the current DOS/BIOS."

So I would try testing some more.