Well, thank you for the helpful information re: the config.sys file,
viewing PNG files, etc. My original thought is that I would use the
fast-booting DOS OS to narrow my focus to just a few activities, and I
haven't really done that. Too used to internet, email, etc etc!

But I still think it's really neat. I am playing around with the DOS
program Dates, and some other stuff. Honestly, seems to be easier to
run stuff in a "DOS" window in XP than booting straight to DOS because
of the aforementioned availability of internet, sound just works, etc.
But I have the option if I want.

Thanks for your quick and helpful responses; it's appreciated!