Hi,

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM, John R. Sowden
> <jsow...@americansentry.net> wrote:
>
>> Is there a zip program for dos that encrypts using the aes algorithm?

According to APPNOTE.TXT, "version needed to extract" (field) must be
"5.1 or greater" to support AES.

I don't know all the details. At one time I think both PKWARE and
WinZIP both had competing encryption methods. It's not something I
ever messed with.

> 7-zip does, and a DOS port for FreeDOS is available.
>
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/7zip/4.65/

Don't use 4.65 unless you have a good reason. (It lacks anything about
LZMA2, for instance.) The preferred version these days (according to
http://www.7-zip.org ) is "9.20" (and some newer, buggier betas and
alphas).

So your choices in DOS are varied (but imperfect):  7ZA920.ZIP (Win32
console) + Japheth's HX, or kludgy DJGPP build of p7zip 9.20.1