Hi,

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 9:28 AM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Butterfly Close
> <closebutter...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Third tip. Screen indication can be disabled, (it speeds up system): " >
>> /dev/null". Under DOS exist "/dev/null"? Funny....
>
> No, /dev/null doesn't exist.  The NUL device does, and provides the
> same function - stuff redirected to it is thrown away.

DJGPP has its own /dev/null that it uses (among others) to fake more
*nix compatibility. I'm guessing that this particular MPlayer build is
compiled with DJGPP. Though that probably? wouldn't work from cmdline
shell file redirection. Just use ">NUL" and be happy.

> There's an old batch file trick using it.  To test for the existence
> of an empty directory, use IF EXIST <dirname>\NUL  The NUL device
> exists in all directories, and the IF EXIST test will find it if the
> directory exists.  COMMAND.COM doesn't have a function to test for the
> existance of directories. so this was a handy work around.

It's only "MS-DOS" COMMAND.COM that lacks this. 4DOS and DR-DOS shells
both have other methods (isdir, direxist). Not sure about other DOSes,
so who knows there.