On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 15:47:05 -0500, Jack <gykazequ...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Opera V7,5, last one that works with Win/NT, and Earthlink dial-up.

Opera 9.25 can work in NT4, I use it all the time. Browsing with
javascript disabled prevents most ads from loading.

>> And sorry, but *something* has to pay for those "free" services that
>> cost actual time and money to provide, and ads are what pay for them.
>
> My regret is that the Internet was once "free".   Now it only offers
> MORE damned ads than U.S. Television!

The way I look at it, if ISPs hadn't decided to block servers and stop
offering hosting to their customers, then there would be more small
personal websites like there once were, and less reliance on bloated,
ad-laden corporate sites. Sadly, ISPs have effectively a
government-granted monopoly here and are free to reduce service and
increase prices all they want, as well as trying to extort third party
content providers that compete with their own content. Personally I feel
no obligation to look at ads just because somebody decided it would be
part of their business model.