Hi, just for clarity,

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 10:23 AM, dos386 <dos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 3. http://www.freedos.org/links/ many links are DEAD or have issues :
>>
>> - RAR for MS-DOS (better link to UNRAR DGJPP port?)
>
> I left the link to rarlabs for RAR, but we don't mirror it on the
> FreeDOS archives (or I don't think we do).

No, not that I know of, although they are shareware, so it's not
illegal (but obviously not free software either).

(16-bit version circa 1999)
ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/pack/rar250.exe

(32-bit EMX version circa 2010)
ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/pack/rarx393.exe

> We do include the UNRAR DJGPP part on our FreeDOS software list.

The latest version of RAR is 5.0.1, which only supports Windows,
Linux, FreeBSD, and Mac OS X. Basically it's a big rewrite with
multi-core and Unicode support, which obviously DOS is not very good
at. The "new" .rar format (v4?) basically only supports "Windows" and
"Unix". That is their target, nothing else. DOS is not supported, and
their website doesn't even directly link to download the "obsolete"
DOS version (3.93) anymore (although it's still on their FTP).

Due to lack of wchar_t support, the current UnRAR 5.x sources do not
compile with DJGPP. I don't think 4.x did either. The last version
that I know compiled and worked fairly okay was "old" 3.93. So that is
all we have.