It could be that you need to load a driver, but that's unlikely.  The most
probable cause is a "funky" BIOS in the computers, and in particular the
laptops (I've had laptops where the internal keyboard doesn't work quite right).

I would start by testing the keyboard with my SCANTEST program, which is
included in the USB driver package from my web site (http://bretjohnson.us).
That will tell you if the keyboard hardware/BIOS is working properly or not.
You can do some more extensive troubleshooting after that.