Hi,

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Dec 31 2011 readme.txt on the 1.1 iso says to get a bootable floppy image
> download
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.1/fdos1440.img
>
> It generates a 404. What is a URL that works?

I don't know. I don't remember seeing any such image in 1.1. At least,
I never used one, and I don't see it locally here (laptop's subdir,
"..\freedos\1.1"). You'll presumably have to use an older floppy
image, e.g. from "../unofficial" .

> http://www.freedos.org/download/ has no link I can find for a 1.1 floppy
> image.

Floppies aren't exactly popular anymore. So there isn't much incentive
for most people to care. Most machines don't come with floppy drives
anymore.

> Is there something on the CD iso that can make a bootable 1.1 floppy without
> having to burn and boot the CD iso?

A simple floppy image wouldn't be hard to make, but what would you do
with it? In other words, what pieces of software need to be on there?
Obviously kernel and shell, but what else? The sky's the limit, there
are hundreds of optional pieces. So before we can do anything, we have
to know exactly what it is that you want to do. (And I don't think a
complete "BASE" will fit, so you will have to be somewhat picky.)

I guess if you want to boot a floppy in order to install a minimal
FreeDOS, you'll also need SYS, FDISK, FORMAT. (But you probably
already knew that.) I would also recommend at least Jack's drivers
(UIDE, XMGR, RDISK) and CTMOUSE and probably CWSDPMI. Well, and then
you get more and more complicated depending on use (i18n?
networking?).