On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/25/2014 12:38 PM, dmccunney wrote:
>> The question we won't know till we see it is the terms under which the
>> source is released, and whether it may be used in derivative products.
>> (In particular, is there anything in DOS 1.1 or 2.0 that might be
>> incorporated into FreeDOS? I personally suspect not. It will be
>> interesting to see what early DOS looked like internally.)

> Well, the terms are all spelled out right there where you download the
> files. It pretty much states that you can't really do anything with the
> code or "derived work"...

Pretty much what I expected.  But given the age of the code and the
state of development of MS-DOS 1.1 and 2.0, I'm not sure what could be
done with it if the license *did* permit derivative works.  I doubt
any of it could be picked up and dropped into FreeDOS without major
changes.  It might give pointers on how to do some things differently,
but I'm not sure "differently" == "better".

This is neat for historical interest, but likely not useful in actual practice.

> Ralf
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519