It's nice that Microsoft released the MS-DOS source code, but this is not
"Free software."

I agree with Ralf: neat for historical interest, but not useful in actual
practice.

At the least, FreeDOS developers should not download and study the MS-DOS
source code. I gave that same warning a few years ago when some goofball
claimed to have released the source code to MS-DOS (I forget what version).
I never looked at it, so I don't know if this was true. Do not risk the
FreeDOS Project by examining this code and then contributing code to
FreeDOS. Developers who do that would likely do so with the best of
intentions (improving compatibility) but this just "taints" our codebase
with proprietary code.