On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 9:37 AM, Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com> wrote:

> I think cost is the big factor for serial. Serial would have to clock 8
> times faster to match IDE.

Cost is the big factor, period.  PCs are commodities, with commodity
pricing.  Given the same specs, it largely doesn't *matter* whose name
is on the box.  The purchase decision comes down to price, and lowest
cost producer wins because they can offer cheaper prices.

> A 250 gig CF chip costs $1500 while an SD chip is much much cheaper.

And this is a *bad* thing?

Perhaps you would prefer PCs still used MFM drives with separate
controller cards?

I still have my old XT clone with two Seagate ST-225 20 *MB* hard
drives connected to a WD controller card.  Nowadays, you can't find a
20 *GB* hard drive.  They are all much larger and getting bigger
still.  You can get terabyte SATA drives for about $65.
______
Dennis