On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:38 AM, Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I prefer to keep the software list somewhat controlled. The software
>> list should not grow too quickly, or it risks becoming bloated. But if it
>> doesn't grow at all, it becomes stale. I would be happy to add a Forth
>> compiler to the list, for those who like to write programs in Forth.
>
> There's a lot of good stuff to like about Forth (and the various
> communities). Just for posterity, here's a few useful links:

Forth has been around a long time.  It began as an embedded language
for controlling radio telescopes, but has expanded rather beyond that.
Sun Microsystems used to write the BIOS for their workstations in
Forth, and you could interrupt the boot stage and drop in the Forth
interpreter.

I don't necessarily think Forth needs to be in FreeDOS BASE, but it
should be available for the FreeDOS distribution, and a version that
runs under FreeDOS and is free software with a license compatible with
the GPL should be in the FreeDOS archive.

> Speaking of that, I just found out from 4tH's Google Group that
> FreeCode (FreshMeat) is in read-only mode only from now on. Meh.
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/4th-compiler/YZ5rdofhFTU
> http://freecode.com/about
>
> "... , but links to new applications and releases are **no longer
> being added**."

Freecode has shutdown due to lack of traffic.  Eric S. Raymond has
floated an idea to create a replacement, but isn't willing to do it
single-handed.  Interested parties should see his blog post at
http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=5948#comments
______
Dennis