I used the "FreeDos bootable USB flash drive HOWTO" not the img file supplied
on the web site.  Doing the latter it or using the "FreeDos bootable image
generation HOWTO" causes problems, for example, when booting I got disk
geometry problems.  I didn't follow all the directions exactly, since I used
graphical tools when possible and the HOWTO didn't tell me about aligning the
drive, whatever that means.  I used Gparted and left a megabyte at the
beginning and end of the drive.   Like I said, a preliminary check on two other
computers seems to indicate I did things correctly.  I got a DOS prompt and was
able to get a directory listing of the drive.