I figured it out. "USB Operation Mode" at "High Speed" interferes with Freedos
installation and USB flash drive booting.  "ACPI Suspend Type" at "S3" also
interferes with Freedos installation.  I haven't actually installed Freedos
yet, but I can get a listing of the partitions on the hard disk with fdisk.

After installing Rufus I ran dd to put an image on the disk (compressed file
from
chtaube.eu/computers/freedos/bootable-usb/FreeDos-1.1-memstick-2-2048M.img.bz2).
 This was before I figured out the BIOS settings which interfered with booting.
When booting from a flash USB drive, I can't access the hard drive, DVD drive,
or the USB hard drive.  I can access the USB flash drive fine, at least with
the dir command.