PCMCIA slots were never directly supported by any DOS.  But the OEM DOS
drivers will allow you the use of one piece of hardware in one slot.  It
also appears you're following some ODI guide [1].  What does your NET.CFG
look like?  What version of the driver are you using?  It looks like
version 2.0 [2] is the last to fully support DOS.  This guide [3] may also
help you.  It details the NDIS install version as well.  netbootdisk.com
[4] lists/uses an NDIS driver as well.  I would investigate their setup for
tips.

[1]
http://orange.micrologik.fr/Drivers/Netgear/fa511/HELP/NETWARE/DOSODI.TXT
[2]
http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/Disclaimer.aspx?redirecturl=http://netgeardownload.registria.com/single_page_registration?product[sku]=FA511&download_url=http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/FA511/FA511%20Driver%20Set%20Version%202.00.zip
[3] http://wisdomtree.info/dos/dostcpip.htm
[4] http://www.netbootdisk.com/cards.htm