For almost 30 years I have written various computer-based tests for
studies in psychology and related fields. These required timing
accuracy comparable to the traditional electromechanical testing
devices, so that DOS (initially AppleDOS and then PC-DOS) was the
operating system of choice. Essentially, I could not afford to have the
OS attending to the many functions that I did not need when I wanted
it to be recording data. I turned to FreeDOS when PCs running MS-DOS
were becoming uncommon and I needed to package the operating
system with the tests. I switched from Borland Turbo C to Watcom C a
few years ago.  It is getting more difficult to have a "plug-in" DOS
environment that can just boot up to run tests on the variety of PCs
out there and I now rely on Tcl-Tk under Linux whenever I can.

Jim