Okay.
I got Necromancer's Dos Navigator and its integrated graphical FTP Browser to
work - at least for the LAN.
(With a connection to two external FTP sites I still get Connection Error 10051)

To try this I run two VirtualBox FreeDOS guests.

Guest No. 1:
----------------

I used a plain FreeDOS 1.1 and booted Menu 1 (Jemmex, no EMS)
I loaded the VirtualBox packet driver in AUTOEXEC.BAT

LH PCNTPK INT=0x60

I downloaded NDN from http://ndn.muxe.com/download/
Version: 2010-03-23 - v2.31.5309
and copied it to C:\NDN

I added C:\NDN to my PATH in AUTOEXEC.BAT  (don't know exactly if this is
necessary)

I added a line to C:\NDN\FTP.INI

mtcp [2,0,0,0] ftp://user:password@192.168.1.120

I configured a minimal C:\FDOS\WATTCP.CFG

my_IP = dhcp
gateway = 192.168.1.1

(The line

SET WATTCP.CFG=C:\FDOS

has to be in AUTOEXEC.BAT)

Guest No. 2
----------------

I made sure it has the IP address 192.168.1.120
I started mTCP ftpsrv

That's it.
In Guest No. 1 I start NDN.
Then I hit F10 to get into the menu bar.
I choose "Manager" and "Change drive left" (or just hit ALT-F1)
I choose "#: FTP-Server"
I go down the menu until the line "mtcp" is highlighted and then I hit ENTER.

Now NDN connects to mTCP ftpsrv.

:-)