On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller6...@twc.com> wrote:

> First concern is making FreeDOS bootable, preferably with Syslinux.  SYS.COM
> didn't work,
> even made the FAT32 file system unreadable.  I need to save the first MB by
> dd from FreeBSD
> so as to be able to dd back in case the file system is messed up.

Rugxulo responded:

> This may not be the most useful reply. I wish it was easier for things
> like this as well, but it's not.

> Anyways, the only two (easy) ways I know of are RUFUS and UNetBootIn.
> The former requires Windows, and the latter ... dunno, Linux is a
> given, not sure about FreeBSD. Have you tried (or can you try) both of
> these two??

> Of course, you could always convert a floppy .img to minimal .ISO and
> burn that to CD, if in a pinch, though I'm not sure that has what you
> want to run (too small, presumably, unless you only want to do small
> tests).

I never used RUFUS or UNetBootIn, don't know if I could.

But FreeDOS 1.1 is already installed on the USB stick but not directly bootable.

I can boot FreeDOS 1.1 from grub4dos but not from grub 2.

I can boot grub4dos and some other things I added from modified System Rescue
CD USB-stick installation.

I also have old Linux Slackware 13.0, FreeBSD 8.2 and NetBSD 5.1_STABLE, and
Lilo, on a 40 GB IDE hard drive now in a Sabrent enclosure with IDE and SATA
internal interfaces and USB 2.0 and eSATA external interfaces.

Lilo menu also includes Plop and grub4dos, and grub 2 floppy image, which is >
7 MB, can be booted from grub4dos.

I was never able to install FreeDOS 1.1 from DOSBox.

Since not many computers nowadays use FreeDOS or any other DOS as their only or
primary OS, I'd like to be able to install FreeDOS from Linux or BSD.  Maybe
even MS-Windows or Mac OS X, though that would not be applicable in my case.

Tom